Background

Thursday 9 December 2010

To my Baby-to-be

I just could not get to sleep last night. I'm not sure exactly what it was that was keeping me away. I was tired but I wasn't sleepy and things kept going round in my mind.

One thing that kept coming back to me was a little scrapbook that I bought back when we first decided to try for a baby. A friend of mine was put on bed rest while she was pregnant with twins and used some of her time writing letters to her unborn babies (they're five now and love hearing about their adventures before they were born). I thought this was a lovely idea and resolved to do the same while waiting for my sprog to pop.

Well, I've been waiting over a year now to paste my first letter into that book and it's kind of sad to think of it just sitting there, totally empty and unloved. And last night I couldn't sleep, so I sat up and wrote this, a letter to my as-yet unconceived child:

Dear Baby-to-be,

You're just a twinkle in your Daddy's eye but we still love you more than anything in the world. We've been waiting twelve long months to meet you and it's strange to think that once we know you're on the way, we'll still have to wait another nine before you'll arrive. But we'll be patient because we're getting really good at waiting.

We're doing everything that we can to make a good place for you and I know that you'll come along when you're good and ready to. You clearly take after your mother because you've not even been conceived yet and you're not only incredibly stubborn but your time-keeping is as bad as mine too, kiddo!

Do it in your own time, little one, we're ready for you but I guess it's taking you a little bit of time to be ready for us. We'll just have to work on your organisation when you get here.

But try not to take too long, I have it on good authority that your Granda wants a little person to spoil rotten at Christmas. I hope this is the last one we have to spend without you.

Hope you're on your way soon.

Your Mummy-to-be
xxxxxx

2 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful - full of love and they'll love reading that when they're here so much! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! It almost made me cry!

    ReplyDelete